I love this book! This was the first book I read on summer vacation. It was so engaging that I was not able to put it down, and I finished reading it in one day.
I am itching to get back in to my classroom to change my reading program. New and old thoughts for my reading program:
* Reorganize my library. I currently have it set up by book level. I plan to organize it by genre. Instead of focusing on Accelerated Reader (A.R.) points, my class is going to use a 30 book goal with genre requirements.
* Spiral review “morning work” will now become homework (which will be corrected). This will give me more time for independent reading.
* Reading homework will be skills based. Independent reading will be assigned, but a log for homework will not be used.
* Students will bring books with them to Picture Day, the library, and field-trips (if they are allowed to carry a bag).
* Accountability will be monitored through the use of a reader’s notebook and performance on Accelerated Reader (A.R.) quizzes. My school uses Accelerated Reader/STAR.
* Book Commercials – I love the idea of having on-the-spot book recommendations. It reminds me of Reading Rainbow and Scholastic Book Fair videos.
Have you read the book? What were your thoughts?